Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Abhinav--- future of indian cricket



Abhinav: All set for England tour
Friday, May 14 2010

Chennai: Two years ago, Abhinav Mukund made it to the Indian Under-19 team for the World Cup in Malaysia, but did not play a game due to poor form in the run-up to the competition. But the discerning noted the talent in the opening batsman and it was no surprise when he signed up with the Chennai Super Kings.

If the 2008 World Cup was a personal disappointment to him since he didn't get to play a game, then Abhinav did not allow that to weigh him down. Rather, he continued to score runs heavily in the domestic competition.

His persistence and consistency have now won him a berth in the India 'A' team that is set to tour England later this summer.

The left-handed batsman who also bowls leg breaks, has played 25 first class matches, scoring 2,034 runs with 300 not out as his highest and an average of 53.52.

Reacting to his selection to the India A team, Abhinav said: ''I am overjoyed first of all for having been selected to the India-A team. It is a great opportunity for me. I was kind of expecting it. I do not usually look at team selections. I did not know that the team was getting selected on that particular day.

"I am pleased that I made the cut. I am looking at this tour as a great exposure for me. I think I will do well because I have prepared enough and this is one of few chances that had come by your way.''

Abhinav is only too aware that age is on his side and is not unduly worried about having to wait for his chance to gain selection, especially at the international level, considering the close competition that exists in his age group.

"I usually do not think about all these factors. It is a matter of time because there were so many players before you who have come through the grind. But I have no problem in waiting for my chance. I do not expect anything, but if it comes, well and good," he said.

He firmly believes that he is as fit and ready for the England tour as he can be after working on his fitness and also the game in the past couple of months when he was part of the Super Kings squad in the IPL.

''Mentally, I have prepared for it and when you start playing, you always dream of playing for the country. Physically, I have been preparing well for the past two months. If you had spoken to me before the IPL, I would have told you that I wanted to get stronger.

''For the past two months, I have worked a lot on it and become a lot stronger. Whoever gets settled or acclimatizes faster in those conditions, should have an edge. I have a positive mind set and I am confident about it. And, gelling with others will not be a problem at all,'' he said looking ahead to the England tour.

He felt that his previious visits to England, first with his father who played club cricket and a few friendlies that he played before his entry into first class, would help him settle down to English conditions.

''I had travelled to England when I was very young with my father, who used to play Club cricket in the Kent and Surrey league. I had played couple of games too when I was much younger and it was well before I took to serious cricket. I am able to recollect all my past experiences in England and they will help me,'' he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment