Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ashwin - A reward for hard work


Ashwin - A reward for hard work
Monday, May 17 2010

Chennai: When skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni threw the new ball to Ravichandran Ashwin to bowl in the power play phase in the IPL, the tall off-spinner grabbed the opportunity with both hands to emerge as a key bowler for the Chennai Super Kings. Ashwin, in fact, played a crucial role in the team's success and it was no surprise when he was picked for the tour of Zimbabwe beginning in the last week of May.

Modest to a fault, Ashwin is one of only two Super Kings players in the Indian team for the Zimbabwe campaign, the other being opener Murali Vijay.

With Harbhajan Singh firmly in the saddle, Ashwin obviously has to bide his time. He was in the Indian team for the ODI series against South Africa but did not get to play a game. Yet, Ashwin kept chipping away and the the IPL season saw him blossom forth into one of the top bowlers.

His IPL performance earned him a berth in the team for Zimbabwe and Ashwin is obviously keen to make the best of the opportunity.

"Getting selected is omething that I was looking forward to like everybody who picks up the bat and ball at the age of eight dreams about getting selected. Like many others, I have also been performing well in the domestic season and in the IPL events. I am delighted to have been selected and raring to join the team. Hope to get my game and prove my worth in the team," he said.

Focus and determination played were his major attributes in the IPL and Ashwin hopes to continue the good work in Zimbabwe as he feels that he is in the 'zone'.

"Preparation is very important. I am totally focused to perform in a positive manner. I am getting to be in the zone of feel good factor and I have practiced enough and technically well equipped to deliver the results," he said.

Although only 23, Ashwin has equipped himself with a lot of knowledge about the conditions he is likely to encounter in Zimbabwe and prepare accordingly for his maiden visit to that country.

"Generally, I do not ignore any cricket that is telecast. Whatever I have seen of how cricket is being played in Zimbabwe, it must be pretty sunny but there is a lot of breeze around, I guess. The wickets are rather slow because of the black soil.

"I think it should help the team as we have right combinations. We also have lot of slow bowling options. I think we are well equipped going there."

Ashwin does not believe in over-reaching himself but keeping his mind focussed on the job on hand rather than thinking too far ahead.

"Whenever I go into tournaments or whenever I am bestowed with a chance, I do not look at further deeds or gifts that are going to come my way. I want to fulfill the job on hand. Tomorrow is rather uncertain. It is nature of life. I am happy with whatever I get to do and work towards proving my mettle," he said rather philosophically while signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment